Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Well, Now I Know How To Survive That.



Hey world! Welcome to this week's only post! That's a little bit sad, only one post this whole week. But oh well, I can't review a book I haven't finished yet, now can I? Nope, that would be dishonest. But you probably wouldn't mind. You probably don't even exist...you're just some robot...maybe I'm the only real person in the universe. Maybe this is all a dream, and I'm sleeping. Or your sleeping, and when you wake up, I will cease to exist, but I won't mind because I never did in the first place, it's just your brain reflecting some arbitrary personality on me...but enough of that.

Quarantine Loners Cover.jpgSo, I recently read a book called Quarantine: The Loners by Lex Thomas, which is actually just the first names of two authors who like to work together. This is the first book in a who-knows-how-long series. Okay, I just spent an unjustifiable amount of time reading their blog. Anyways, there are at least two other books in the series, but I'm not sure if there's going to be more or not. I guess I'll find out (foreshadowing the review a little there, way to go me). 

Summaryish: A deadly plague that kills only adults, a quarantine on a high school. What could go wrong? Naturally, everything. Quickly after the quarantine is initiated, gangs form based on people's social cliques - with one exception. What about those people who didn't have a group of friends? The loners are the lowest of the low, the untouchables, who don't get to eat unless they fight for food. And those fights can get pretty nasty. All alone in a locked building until they graduate, the horrors they experience inside will no doubt scar them for life, but these teens have no choice but to fight for their survival. Oh my goodness, what a terrible disorganized summaryish. It was pretty much just back story. 

Review: I figured I would like this book when I picked it up - I mean, I picked it up, didn't I? So when I didn't, I was surprised. No, I didn't like this book...I loved it! It had just the exact right balance of suspense and action. There were no boring unnecessary bits of well-written but useless scenes. The characters and the world were wonderfully imagined, and I fell right into the middle of this story. It was kind of scary, but in a way that doesn't produce nightmares, which is the best kind of scary. It was very reminiscent of Michael Grant's Gone series, but without the superpowers. Instead, the kids have to depend on their own strengths and smarts, which make the series even better! I've already picked up the sequel, it's in my book pile now. So go get it, because it's great.  

Words to the Characters:

Everyone: Hair doesn't grow that fast. 

See you next week!

-Xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment