Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Word is Fun to Say, but Has Bad Connotations.



Hey world! I'm pretty sure I forgot all about you last week, but that means there's like, four posts today. I might not even get to them all because I'm so easily distracted, and I have an appointment. But now that I've checked my reading log to see which books I'm reviewing, I'm ready to begin. 

Image result for Xenocide enderSo, a little while ago (a week or so) I finished this book called Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. This is part of the Ender series - which has like, 8 books or something. I've been waiting so long to read this, but my library never seemed to have it! Finally it did, though, and I got it. I can't remember if I reviewed Ender's Game, the first one (which I read before it was even cool - ha), but I do remember beyond a shadow of a doubt that I reviewed the second one, which was actually a Wow. Just Wow. This one, obviously, is not. Anyways...

Summaryish: This is going to be hard to type, since I'm rocking out to Beatles' songs. But here we go - Ender has been living on Lusitania for quite a while now, while his new family attempt to cure the ravaging descolada disease, while keeping the pequininos who depend on it alive. Meanwhile, on a different planet called Path, a "godspoken" young girl named Gloriously Bright, but in a different language of course, is given the job of discovering where the Lusitania fleet, which was sent to destroy Ender's planet, has vanished too. She learns secrets that are best kept secrets, and the fate of two species rests in her hands.

Review: So, if you'll notice from the multi-paragraphs of this post, this is not a Wow. Just Wow like this book's siblings were. But that doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy this book, and in fact tear through the pages without actually tearing them. I was totally involved in the story, and the characters and themes and questions and answers were all beautiful, but it was just missing that special something that the others had the sticks with you, that thing that makes you stare at the cover for a few seconds after you've finished only able to think "wow" over and over again. But it was still great, I still love this series. And, hey, it's not surprising that by book three you've lost a little something. These  stories are worth reading, and I don't regret staying up until 1:30 AM to finish it. 

To the author:

First off, your website is disappointing. It's not pretty, and it's difficult to navigate. A little organization and a few graphics can go a long way. Second of all, my goodness, have you written a lot of books. The rest of my life is going to be very busy isn't it? Because, despite your website, I've officially decided to be a fan.

-Xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment