Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Similarities Are Amazing.



Hey world! Me again! Wow, this is almost like a marathon, but in just one day. Since the blog became a Wednesday thing, we haven't had any marathons. Kind of sad. Oh well, no one reads this anyway, so it's not that big a deal. It's funny how we say "big a deal" when we mean "big of a deal." Poor of, always being ignored and omitted. 

Image result for under the never skySo, I can't remember when I finished Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, whose name is so conveniently close to Veronica Roth. I'm sure she got a lot of accidental fans over that. So far, her library includes only books and novellas from this trilogy, also like Veronica Roth. I'm sure they're both on the road to branching out, though. I had heard of this book, which isn't saying much because I hear about every book - I'm signed up for, like, two or three different book enewsletter thingies. But yeah, I've heard of it without being interested, it looked like one of those romances with a Sci-fi subplot, but I found it and I got it anyway. 

Summaryish: After Aria is kicked out of her Pod, she is sent out into the wild world people call the Death Shop, which is full of savages and cannibals and dangerous Aether storms. There she is forced to team up with one of the Savages if she wants to live, and make it to Bliss, a different Pod where her mother may or may not be dead. Perry, the aforementioned Savage, has troubles of his own - namely his nephew being kidnapped and his brother wanting to kill him. Fun times, yes?

Review: At first, I wasn't impressed. I felt no connections to these characters, and I didn't care about them at all. But, that sentence was in past tense, because like a lot of the books I don't like at first, it starts getting good after page 200. The story is fast from start to finish, so nothing to worry about there - the story is intriguing and well plotted and paced, it's just that pesky character connection, perhaps the most important part of a reading experience! No connection, no emotions, no happiness. So that's my only complaint about this book - it must have an earlier connection.

Words to the Characters:

Aria: I can't think

Perry: of anything to say.

-Xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment