Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sorry, Spellcheck, But That Word Actually Is Spelled Correctly.

Hey world! I almost forgot to write this...but then I remembered! We are now up to day three of the blog blitz! Woohoo! And three is a magic number, you know. I just realized that I say that a lot. I have an odd love of the number three and its many multiples...perhaps one of the reasons I love trilogies? But now I'm ready to review this book that took me sooo long to read!

So, it took me a while to finish Anathem by Neal Stephenson, but I did it! I wanted to get Cryptonomicon, but I couldn't find that one. So when I saw this book I thought I might as well split the difference and read something by the same author. This guy wrote Reamde which got glowing reviews on this blog sometime last year, maybe November. This book is not part of a series, but it is the third book over 930 pages to be reviewed by me! Accomplishment! And it only took me exactly two weeks. Hopefully it won't take two weeks for the Amazon link to load...

Summaryish: I'm going to start by saying that this is a different planet. Might as well just get that out in the open right off the bat. And on this planet, half of the world is modern and movey-forwardy, while the other half is a closed-off realm run by beautifully logical theorics. But big things are about to go down, and Fraa Erasmas is right smack in the middle of it. 

Review: This book was mostly awesometastic! There were some boring parts where I felt like I was just reading a text book...but I still vaguely enjoyed those parts, too. Mr. Stephenson definitely unleashed his inner Vulcan for this book - logic, first contact, it was classic science fiction, and I loved it! It was a bit of a tough read, but I feel like a lot of the enjoyment is in the challenge. So, despite some over-lookable boring parts, this book was absolutely wonderful! Yay!

Words to the Characters:

Erasmas: Very noble. You have my 100% approval. 

Arsibalt: You make me laugh! 

Okie dokie, day three - check. See you tomorrow!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment