Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Didn't The Beatles Write That?



Hey world! Post 2 of 3, and still quite a ways to go until lunch, which is tragic because I'm hungry. But that's okay, I can wait. I cannot wait to review this book, however, so good bye introduction!

So, like, maybe two and half days ago I finished this book called Across the Universe by Beth Revis. I personally think her website could be a bit more awesome, but hey, that's her choice. Anyways, this is the first book in a trilogy, and there's also a novella and some short stories set in this world. Seems like a case of an author who just couldn't let her baby graduate and go off to college...Or maybe all the readers wouldn't let her stop. 

Summaryish: Cryogenically frozen Amy wakes up on a huge spaceship heading to a new planet after someone unplugged her icebox. And as more of the frozens are being unplugged by an unknown enemy aboard the ship, she teams up with the future leader, Elder, to find out who is committing the murders. But as they try to figure this out, they discover secrets about the ship and Eldest, the current leader, that cannot be ignored, and must be told. Sigh. My summary doesn't do justice to the actual book.

Review: Wow! Beth cuts no corners with this book - every page is better than the last, and so intense and full of emotion. The story is riveting and mysterious, marvelously twisted and turned, and I especially love how the romance aspects aren't front and center everywhere. I like sci-fi, not so much teen angst, and this book was great for that. I practically melted into the pages as I  read nonstop. I caught myself thinking about the book when I was away from it - not obsessively, just a passive "Hm. I wish I were reading right now." And that longing to pick it up again, that constant giving myself just one more chapter, was what made this book a winner for me! 

Words to the Characters:

Elder: That is what I call kind of obsessive and a little creepy. I mean, yeah, sure I get why you did it, but still...

Amy: Don't be mad at him, he loves you. And when I say "he" I mean both of them.

Oh, and if you've read this book - or any book I've reviewed - comment on that post what you thought of it. I'd love to hear your insights!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment