Wednesday, January 7, 2015

This Is a Post Title.



Hey world! Happy Wednesday! I'm pretty sure I have three books to review today, won't that be fun? I don't know how long it's going to take, or even if I'll get to them all...I'm not very busy today, so I probably will, but I suppose there's always the chance that I won't. I guess we'll just have to see. I'm going to the library tomorrow, and I received one suggestion via email, but suggestions here in the comments are better, so leave those now, and then come back to read the rest of this post.

So, about a week ago (yes, I know, I should have reviewed this last week, but I didn't want to) I finished this book called Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld. I've only reviewed a slim few of his books on this blog, but that's because I read a lot of them before I had this blog! He is one of my favorite authors. I almost squealed when I saw this book in the new section of the library! Anyways. It's a pretty big book, with almost 600 pages, or maybe it's a little bit over. I can't remember now. But all of those pages can be purchased at Amazon, the link to which I have decided not to give you. If there is an outcry of unhappiness, I'll bring it back. But I think it really is time to discontinue that. 

Summaryish: Darcy is a young debut author navigating the world of YA publishing for the first time, the pitfalls and setbacks of rewrites and book tours. Lizzy, on the other hand, is a character in Darcy's book who had a brush with death that threw her into the afterworld to become a spirit guide for lost souls. Or something like that, anyway. Basically, Darcy writes words, and Lizzie lives them, just like the tag line says. 

Review: I had extremely high expectations for this book due to the Scott Westerfeldness of it all, and disappointment was only found in one little part. And by one little part, I mean Darcy's "love life." Other than that, every part of the book was satisfying in just the ways I expected it to be - it explored interesting and thought-provoking themes, it was just the right balance of big and little problems that the characters had to make it through, and the action and suspenseful scenes were absolutely perfect, not overdone one bit. It didn't consume my every waking moment like some books do, but I looked forward to picking it up and finding out what happens next every time I sat down to read!

About the Cover:

When you read the book...the cover is mentioned. I just love that! It's like cover-inception! 

Catch you on the flipside. And by flipside I don't mean between the living and afterworlds.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment