Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I Don't Remember Entering a Contest.

Hey world! Happy New Year's Eve! Tomorrow will be 2015! Feels like just a year ago we were celebrating the start of 2014. Time sure does fly. Especially if you throw a clock out the window. Of course, when the clock lands and bursts into a million pieces, time would stop, and then where would we be? Locked in an endless loop that lasts and repeats far too quickly for us to perceive. I've been reading too much science fiction, I think. Let's ignore these obvious signs of addiction and continue.

So, probably about a week or so ago I read this book called The Selected by Patrick Cave. His website is down for maintenance right now, just like that one a few weeks ago, but I'm sure it will be back soon. In the meantime, we still have this Amazon link. Shall I discontinue these Amazon link, do you think? I doubt you use them. There are libraries for book buying, but it does give you access to a summary more professional than mine, and fun things like that. I'll think about it. Anyways, this book is one of what I think is a duology, but you can read them in any order you choose as both say "Both the sequel and prequel to (insert other title here)." No audible, by the way.

Summaryish: In the future, a boy named Dominic is trying to survive on his own in a place once filled with people after various natural disasters caused by environmental difficulties drive everyone else away. But he isn't alone for long, and the people who show up and take over seem to be up to no good. Meanwhile, in the distant future - that's right, a future after the future in which Dom is living - Adeline, a clone, tries to uncover a truth hinted at in one of her forebears' diary, and learns she might be a fulfillment to an ancient prophecy.

Review: This book was fabulous! I will admit that some parts were more riveting than others, but the whole thing was excellent in the way all the clues don't fit quite together until the very end, which I've always loved in a book, and I'm sure you do to. There wasn't much happening that required predictions, and I was a little disappointed about the passivity of the story-telling, but it was still a great book! Kind of relaxing in the way it was written. Something you could read over and over and love every time!

About the title:

There are two! I believe it was originally published in England under the name "Blown Away." Just thought you should know that, and I had nothing to say to the characters anyway.

By the way, I hope you had a nice Christmas. Or winter holiday if you don't celebrate Christmas.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment