Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Spellcheck Does Not Like This Book.



Hey world! Tada! It's Wednesday, and here I am on my Wednesday blog! I have two books to review today, so stay tuned! It's almost Christmas time, and next Wednesday is Christmas Eve, so I'll be able to wish you happy holidays then. I don't know what my gift is going to be to you, fellow readers, but I'll think about it. What's you gift going to be to me? Hopefully it's a comment. I really love those.

So, a few days ago I finished this book called Incarceron by someone who's name I can't remember. Catherine Fisher! Thank you, Google. Pretty snazzy website. Google and Ms. Fisher's. This is the first book in a series. I think it's actually just a duology, since I can't find any information about a book three. Ms. Fisher has a great many books. I'm quite amazed. The audible is nice. I'm surprised it's read by a female, though. It's nicely paced. There are some who read way too slow. Amazon link!

Summaryish: In a future world that has been divided into two places - inside Incarceron, a prison where centuries ago all criminals were sent and locked away, and outside where a law has been passed that all the people must live in a certain period of history out of necessity. Finn, inside Incarceron, is looking for Escape, which is impossible in the vast world of the prison. Claudia, outside, is trying to escape something herself - an arranged marriage. It seems the only way to do it is to free Finn, who has an interesting past that he can't remember. But Incarceron won't give him up. Did I mention Incarceron is alive?

Review: I have mixed feelings about this book. It was well-written and seemed to have everything a good story needs, and I did pay attention...but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I was reading it more to finish it than because I wanted to. I was promised many twists and turns, and a twist ending I wouldn't see coming, but I predicted almost every single event before it happened. I think I was also upset because the plot had no pitfalls. There was danger, of course, but nothing that really worked against the characters. I like to be pushed forward, and then brought back, like a wave in an ocean, but there just weren't any obstacles, and a clear path is easy to predict. I was never surprised, and in my book that's worthy of a demerit. 

About the Cover:

At least the cover was awesome.  As you can see above, it's covered in gears and interesting keys and things, and a lovely color scheme. The cover was what first drew me towards this book. In fact, I didn't even read the jacket flap. I pulled the book off the shelf, said to myself "I want it," and put it in my bag. Very steampunk, which fits the themes. Well done!

Post one, done!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment