Thursday, December 11, 2014

I Thought It Was About Secret Codes. I Was Wrong.



Hey world! Welcome to Day Nine of what looks like is going to be an 11 day marathon! It is Thursday, so you can let go of the ridiculous notion that today is Wednesday you have inexplicably been carrying around in your head for the past while. It's just starting to sink in that it is December. I might even change my calendar from November today. You know what December means - another year drawing to a close. What are some of the best books you've read this year? 

So, I recently read this book called Coda by Emma Trevayne. She'll have a website soon, but for now she's one of those authors with websites under construction. I believe this is book one a series, though the thought of that does not make sense, the proof is in the pudding. And by pudding, of course I mean the Amazon link. And because I've decided it's high time this blog became a little more snazzy, here's a picture of the cover. You better appreciate it, it took three tries to get it awesome. 


Summaryish: In a future world, after many wars, music has been transformed into a kind of addictive drug that will eventually kill you. But young Anthem and his friends, while addicted to tracking themselves, have a secret underground band where they play real unencoded music. The risk is high - what they're doing is illegal and the penalty could be a track that deafens them forever - but it's worth it for the music. Anthem's family is suffering, and he wants to help them as much as possible, but the only way to save his little siblings from becoming hooked on the deadly drug is revolution. But maybe the one he loves the most is the one he can trust the least...

Review: So, my summary makes the book sound a little cheesy. I mean, seriously, addictive music? I wasn't even expecting much, and I consider myself very open to new books, as long as their covers are as pretty as that one so beautifully text-wrapped above. But the setting is so carefully crafted, and the character so real, and the plot so believable, that I fell into this book as if it were a warm word-river. A rushing word-river, as it was fast paced. Not a single page of this book is wasted space - even the slower parts, the parts that don't seem to mean much, are important. As someone who loves music so much I sometimes have to stop whatever I'm doing when I hear a song that catches me, I can appreciate this story more than someone who isn't as moved by melodies. To read and enjoy this book, I think you have to be compatible with it, so consider your relationship with rhythmic sounds before you begin. 

Words to the Characters:

Anthem: I can imagine it...and it's beautiful. 

Alpha and Omega: I totally love your handles!

Okay, see you tomorrow for what I'm guessing is Day Ten?

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment