Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Sounds Like A Great Facewash Brand Name.


Hello world! So it's Wednesday, and I blog on Wednesdays, and I'm actually kind of behind, but I'm super busy today. The kind of busy that makes me want to take a lot of breaks, though, so maybe all my reviews will get in. I can at least guarantee one post. This one I'm writing now. The only problem is I can't remember what book I'm reviewing. This is why I keep a reading log. I would be completely lost without it.


So I'm pretty sure the last book I reviewed was Crusher, which means I'm up to Clariel by Garth Nix. This is the prequel to a trilogy that I have not yet read, and wish my library carried. That trilogy is called the, and I hope I'm spelling this right, Abhorsen trilogy, or the Old Kingdom series. Whichever you prefer. I personally like it when series have special series titles rather than, "the name of the first book series." But sometimes, I guess, that just can't be helped.
Summaryish: In a world of safe Charter Magic controlled by signs, and dangerous, sometimes evil, Free Magic controlled purely by the wielder's will, things seem to be fine. There have been no incidents with Free Magic in a very long time...but the king has given up ruling, and Clariel, who just wants to live in the Great Forrest alone, is forced into a bustling city of fashion and etiquette...and secrets. She plans to leave, but is instead caught up in a Free Magic conspiracy and a power struggle that could cost her much more than she ever planned.

Review: I didn't even read the jacket cover of this book - I trust Garth Nix completely to write me a good story. And maybe my opinion of this book is shadowed by my love of his other books I have read, but I loved this story too! I was actually kind of surprised how much I liked it, considering a lot of the book was not so much action and suspense as building towards the action and suspense that all came bursting out at the end. The writing style is very...relaxing. I can picture myself reading this book with a cup of tea a fuzzy blanket and a warm fire. The perfect way to unwind is always laced with magic. Put that on a T-shirt! 

Words to the Characters:

Clariel: I was disappointed in your constant selfishness. All these people are just trying to be nice to you, and won't let them. Imagine what you could have avoided if maybe you smiled at someone once instead of wallowing in your own sadness.

Okay, must get back to work. Maybe I'll see you later.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment