Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I Think Artemis Fowl Would Protest.


Hey world! Welcome to Wednesday, the day I blog. I have so many books to review! I don't know if I'll get to them all today, but I'm sure going to try. I just counted, and I have four books to review. That's going to be really super ironic in a minute, just wait for it. I don't think I have any announcements this week, but I am thinking about another Bring a Friend Day. I'll just have to pick a day...
So, a little while ago, I read this book called Four by Veronica Roth (get the irony, now?). It's a collection of four short stories, though my copy had three extra short little things. I guess Ms. Roth is another case of Can't-Give-Up-My-Characters-and-Story Syndrome. But, hey, I picked it up, so maybe I have the same thing. Anyways...Each story, except for the bonus scenes, are available separately, but I don't know if they cost money or if they're free. 
Summaryish: Basically, it's just a bunch of stories about Four, told from his perspective, and giving a glimpse into what his life was like before and after Dauntless, and before and after Tris. 





Review: Okay, so I like reading stories from other character's perspectives, but I was kind of disappointed when I was really bored and not getting any new information. Like, okay, I knew all this from the original books, but now I'm reading it in present tense and I know when Four's heart starts racing. How exciting, woopdidoo (sarcasm). It was a little bit intriguing, but while I was reading it, I didn't really care that I was reading it, and I think I started thinking about waffles multiple times throughout this short collection. It's worth the read if you're absolutely in love with the story, but I don't think I ever obsessed about Tris and her story to the extent that some people do. 

To The Author: 

As I read more and more of Ms. Roth's writing, forgive me, but I'm starting to think she got lucky with her story. I'm wondering if she has what it takes to write something new and different. She's very long-winded, even repetitive, in her writing, and unnecessary details are tiring to sort through. As Bryan Davis puts it, don't show me a sword and never have a sword fight. I'll stick around for the next story, but if I just get more of the same, I'm scratching her off my list!

That was kind of harsh...See you next time!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment