Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Personally, I'm Starving.



Hey world! Another Wednesday has rolled around, which means I have another two books to review! How exciting! I'll probably review one now, and one this afternoon, unless I review them both now, which I guess could happen. It all depends on what I feel like at the end of this post. Wow! I love the power that goes with owning your own blog. It's tingly.

Image result for The Hunger games bookSo, a few days ago I finished a book you've probably heard of called The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I know, I know, I'm so behind. At least I've read Divergent, right? As you know, this is book one in a trilogy that has been adapted for film. I saw the first movie before I read the book, sue me, but I think the movie was pretty good, too. By the way, for a best selling author of YA, Ms. Collins' website leaves much to be desired. It's not very user friendly, and it's...not pretty. 

Summaryish: Do I really need to do this? In the distant future, what used to be the United States has divided into 12 sectors. There used to be 13, but they rebelled. As a reminder that the capitol controls all other sectors, and to prevent further rebellion, the Hunger Games were invented. 2 children from each sector will engage in a fight to the death in a televised arena. When Katniss' sister, Primrose's name is drawn in the lottery, she volunteers in her place and finds herself entertaining the rich capitol residents by suffering, killing, and being hunted. 

Review: Okay, after seeing the movie I was pretty excited for the book, and I'll say that it met all of my expectations. I was disappointed when it didn't exceed them, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the book. It was a thrilling story that kept my attention throughout - it was brilliantly plotted and perfectly paced for the best enjoyment possible. With high stakes and chilling suspense, it really was a great book. But - yes, the but - it had a lot of information dump that I would have liked to see integrated better into the flow of the story. Also, my connection with Katniss was distant and frustrated at best. I was cheering for her, because I didn't really care about her. She doesn't have much of a personality, she's just a bucket of memories and emotional confusion. But still - I liked the book, and I'm going to continue with the series.

Words to the Characters:

Peeta: So you make bread...and your name is Peeta. Sounds like pita. Coincidence?

Also, everybody, there's some pretty great Hunger Games fan art out there - not surprising, but worth checking out!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment