Wednesday, April 29, 2015

When Life Gives You Fantasy...Read It?



Hey world! Are you ready for some reviews!? (Read that as if saying "let's get ready to rumble.") I have two books ready for reviews - I know, I know, two reviews in two weeks (my goodness, this is a lot of Ws)? Seems kind of low...but I've had a very busy last-while. So only two books it is. You know, we haven't had a Series Review in quite a while...remember those? When I'd have all science fiction, or all classics, or all something or other for a period of time. Hmm...Any recommendations for one of those?

Image result for Sabriel bookSo, a while ago I finished this book called Sabriel by Garth Nix, you know, that guy with the awesome fantasy name and pretty book covers? This is the first book in the Abhorsen trilogy, but there is a prequel book, and I have read it and reviewed it. Not too long ago, actually. I'm not saying I remember the ending or anything, but the memory feels fresh...I actually rarely remember endings to anything...I think there's a switch in my brain to protect rereads or something.

Summaryish: Young Sabriel has been living in a boarding school most of her life, due to her father being a powerful necromancer whose job it is to keep the Dead in Death. Capital letters - take note of that. Of course, inciting incidents take place - namely, her father's disappearance - and she is sent on a journey through the Old Kingdom to try to locate and hopefully rescue him before he is trapped in Death too long, and dies in the living world, too. Complications include: Dead things, a feisty talking cat, and a boy about her age struggling with painful memories.

Review: So, this book took a while for me to read - not because it was boring, and not because I particularly wanted to savor it, but because, as aforementioned, I was busy. Reading in a car, while possible, is not recommended for long periods of time. If I could, I would have torn through this book - because it was really good. The characters are well defined and the world and story are also fabulous. I can't think of a single complaint - it was fresh and exciting, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

 Words to the Characters:

Touchstone: Did we ever figure out your real name? I'm so curious.

Sabriel: I admire your dedication, and I like how, unlike most heroines, you're not gag-worthily emotional. Way to go.

So you next post!

-Xxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment