Thursday, April 2, 2015

Title Writer's Block Again.

Hey everyone! Second post on this lovely Wednesday morning! I'm all excited because I changed my calendar today, and now I get to look at a new picture all month! All the holiday-dates are green this month! How pleasant! But enough about that, this is a book review blog, not a calendar club forum!

Image result for Chasing power bookSo, yesterday I finished this book called Chasing Power by Sarah Beth Durst. I doubt this is a series, it wasn't set up for one, and there's nothing on her website that says otherwise. Though I do think this is her newest book, and weirdly enough I found this one on the "New Books" shelf, too, just like last book. Anyways, she has a lot of books up and coming, and quite a few already out too. She writes for Middle Grade, YA and adults so she's pretty well-rounded. Though I think she specialized in magic-fantasy. 


Summaryish: Kayla is a telekinetic teenager living in hiding with her mother, Moonbeam, to protect themselves from Kayla's homicidal father. Being telekinetic has, of course, made her the perfect thief. But when she catches the attention of a boy -  a teleporter - he blackmails her into joining him on his continent-hopping quest to find three magical stones, which happen to be the ransom for his kidnapped mother. Hey, maybe I am getting better at summaries. Maybe it has to do with how close it is to the time I read the book.

Review: Wowzers - this book was good. So good I ended up weirding myself out by agreeing with myself when I thought, "This is a good book." It has a great story combined with great characters, and lovely plot twists that are so elegantly foreshadowed. I love it! I only noticed one continuity error that had to do with snakes, and later ropes, and teleporting. I chalked it up to teleporter and teleportee, but still. This is a masterfully woven story with everything from action drama and suspense to humor. So balanced, and so worth the reading. 

About the Cover: 

What in the world does a light bulb have to do with any of this? I get the whole power-reference, but light bulbs weren't even mentioned. Lighters, yeah, but light bulbs - no. I saw this book and thought, "Doomsday or dystopian." I wasn't disappointed in the story, but still. The cover is misleading. I'm so judgmental. 

Also, April Fools!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment