Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I Think it Was About More than That.



Hey world! Post two of maybe three! How very exiting! I was signing my name a few seconds ago, and I started to wonder why exactly I'm anonymous. I think all (three) of the people who read this know who I am, and I'm not particularly adverse to having my name on the Internet. I was when I started this over two years ago. Eh, I'll stick with it. It's kind of my thang. That and colorful words.

Image result for Lifer by Beck NicholasSo, about Sunday I finished a book called Lifer by Beck Nicholas. This was her debut novel, and as far as I know, it's not in a series. I know for a fact it's available as an ebook, because that's how I read it. Man, I do not like ebooks. But that won't bias my review. Don't you just hate library catastrophes? I wrote a haiku about it. It goes like this: Due to weather/the library is closed now/come again later. I'm thinking about changing the last line to "I'm dying inside" but I don't know. I'll think about it. Tell me what you think in the comments, if you want.

Summaryish: Aboard a generation spaceship as a "lifer," or someone who will work to pay the debt of an ancestor when they reach a planet, 16 year old Asher's life changes forever when she is called out of the lower decks to personally serve the highest ranking female on the ship. She is charged with uncovering the mystery of her brother's and boyfriend's deaths. Meanwhile, on a planet somewhere, a boy awakens with no memory of himself, and as he races to figure out who he is, he instead finds out about aliens and a rebels. Sound fun?

Review: Well...this book was okay. I feel like it really could have developed better, and there were a lot of distracting typographical errors. I felt like I was reading a second draft rather than a forth or a fifth. I'm wondering if maybe Ms. Nicholas didn't have an editor...or if her editor just really needs to be fired. I tolerated it well, and I even enjoyed figuring things out, but I never really felt involved or engaged. I was just...an observer in a story that didn't concern me. I enjoy books I feel more connected to better. But, hey, give it a shot if it sounds like something you might like. The characters were okay, so there's that. 

About the Cover:

Is it just me, or does this cover look suspiciously like Across the Universe? Copycat, or coincidence? I guess that is the question. I mean, same theme of coma-looking shadow people looking at each other. Plus, there's a generation spaceship in the novel...Hm. My suspicion just keeps getting higher.

See you maybe later, or maybe next week!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment