Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cue Delilah's Little Song...

Hey world! So you probably think it's been a while, huh? Actually, it hasn't. Because this time, the wait was intentional. And why did I wait until I had four books to review in one day, you may be asking. Because - wait for it - It's my blogiversary! WOOOO CLAPS AND HUZZAHS! 2 years today, my fellow book gluttons. And this makes 237 posts. By the end of the day, we'll have 240. That's a lot of books! Settle in, because we're having four back-to-back blog posts starting...now.

So, a long time ago, but not that long because it was in purpose this time, I read a book called One Realm Beyond by Donita K. Paul. It is book one in the Realm Walkers series that only has a sequel so far. The Amazon link is gorgeous, but the audible could be better. It sounds a little bit too perky, as if the speaker is talking to a young person. But I am surprised that I pronounced all the names correctly.

Summaryish: This book is all about Cantor D'Ahma, a young Realm Walker - a person who can see the portals to travel between realms - has finally received his first mission. He must travel to a different realm to find a dragon to become his constant. But he , along with two other young realm walkers, is dragged into a much bigger problem involving conspiracies that run so deep they make your ears pop, evil kings, and something I probably shouldn't tell you about.

Review: I got this book and I was really excited about it! But I also knew that I had to make it last because the library would be unavailable to me for a while. It turned out not to be a problem at all! I enjoyed going slow through this book, because ending it seemed like a terrible idea. And while the book is more event-driven than plot-driven, it's still a fantastic read. I'm happy that I own it, because I feel like I could read it three or four more times (not in a row of course) before I don't get completely sucked into the nicely paced story. My only complaint is that the characters could stand to be just a touch more defined. Each character seems to stick to only one or two adjectives.

About the Cover:

It's really super pretty. I was not present when the book was purchased, but I was phone-coaching the purchaser while staring at the results of the Google images page. The colors are what really drew me to it, but add the castle, the dragon, and the mysteriously cloaked figure and I could possibly say no it!!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Blogiversary! I forgot to send a card and get presents. Please forgive me. Maybe next year. 237 posts is impressive. Wowzers!

    ReplyDelete