Wednesday, October 29, 2014

J'aime le Français dans Cet Roman.

Hey world! Blog post number two on this blogiversary marathon! Because it's my anniversary, I would like to thank the five countries who give me the most pageviews: The United States, Germany, Russia, Poland, and Turkey! Thanks foreign people, you're the best! Some of you may just be robots, but each pageview is special to me. So far, we have a grand total of 3,507 pageviews! I hope I have so far enriched your reading experience. 

So, book two on this marathon is...drumroll...The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo, which is not only a book, but a movie as well. I have never seen the movie, and now that I've read the book, I doubt I will, but I'm sure it was great. This is classified officially as a children's book, but I think it's appropriate for all ages. As some people say, one day you'll be old enough to read fairy tales again. Although this isn't much of a "fairy tale" since it has no fairies, but talking mice are close enough. The audible is gorgeous, I love it. Try it for yourself at the Amazon link. I like the way it changes the word "Reader" to "Listener."

Summaryish: One day, an incredibly small, large eared mouse was born with his eyes open. He is, as I'm sure you've deduced, strange. His parents and siblings tried to teach him the ways of mice, but to no avail. He stays odd. And then one day, to top it all off, he falls in love with a human princess! And when something terrible happens to the princess, Despereaux must save her!

Review: This story was adorable! It was short, it probably only took me about three hours in all, but they were fabulous hours full of adventure and fantasy and smiles! It unfolds in such a beautiful back-and-forth way that shows how and why things happen. At times it was humorous, at other times it was tense, but no matter which of those times it was, it was charming. You can't help but root for the little mouse with large ears who dared to stand out. And you can even love the villains a little bit, too. I especially love the writing style, which vaguely resembles Lemony Snicket and made me very happy indeed.

About the Title:

Thank you so very much, Kate DiCamillo, for not doing the obvious and callign this story "The Tail of Despereaux," because although that would be appropriate for many reasons, it is far too cliché and I would have avoided this book as a matter of principle. 

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment