Monday, November 25, 2013

An Empty Jar Of Nutella Is Worse Than The Empty Suit.

Hello world!!!  Goshers, have I been slacking or what? It's been like, I don't even know how long since I finished this book! In fact, I have two books to review today, and they've been sitting on the shelf for who knows how long!! At least since Friday...Well, now that I have explained myself, I might as well review the book that has been awaiting my thoughts for so long.

So, a super long time ago I finished this book called Man in the Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell. I doubt it's serial, but I've recently lost all my confidence in announcing whether something is a series or not, so try not to believe me too deeply. Feel free to skim the surface of belief, it feels kind of good when people unquestioningly think I'm telling the truth, but don't allow yourself to drown in it. I'll tell you otherwise when I know otherwise, but that long-awaited exclamatory sentence may never come... I'm feeling very descriptive today. Anyways, Amazon link

Summaryish: Okay, time travel. Got that? It's pretty much the only thing remotely understandable in this book. So just take a deep breath, focus on those two words, and continue reading this paragraph. A time-traveler spends his time, well, traveling through time, but that can get pretty boring. So, every year he throws a party for himself on his birthday, where all his future selves, past selves, and his present self meet up for the same conversations every year. But, on his 39th birthday, something different happens. A woman shows up at the party - directly violating one of the rules of the convention - and a dead body appears. The dead body of himself age 40. So, it's up to the 39 year old to stop this death from happening so he can continue his life of time-traveling without being burdened by something like being murdered.

Review: Boy was this book fun!! Just thinking about it makes my head hurt just a little bit, but it was so great I don't even care. I can't say I understood all that was going on. I kept glancing at my ceiling trying to grasp the fact that this one guy was living in the present and all his other selves were living in the same present but are all totally different people and then they get all untethered so there are multiples, and the world doesn't explode at all. No, the universe remains intact, but my brain certainly had a few minor glitches. Ahh, the beauties of fiction. Snap, I'm out of root beer. Anyways, it takes a special kind of person to tackle this thrill ride. A patient one with at least a rudimentary grasp of quantum theory. I'm kidding, I have absolutely no knowledge of quantum theory outside of making paper möbius strips, and yet I still enjoyed this book, headaches and all. So, if you're willing to ignore the improbabilities of stopping your own nose from breaking a year after it happened, or you're in the mood to be confused, pick up this book...but be prepared not to put it down.

Words to the Characters:

Suit: I guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I will never know your name for certain.

Lily/Sara/Jessica/Whateveryournamesis: Ditto.

Okay, first post done...I might save the next one for tomorrow to allow the suspense to build. Trust me, this book deserves it.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment