Friday, December 20, 2013

I'm F-f-finally R-r-reviewing Th-th-this.

Hey world! I have made, like six dozen cookies. Surprisingly, though, I only burnt my finger once, right on the tip. That is making typing rather uncomfortable, but I am a selfless lazy book glutton, and I will march through three miles of snow coat-less and then dive into a volcano just to bring you books to read. Maybe I'm not such a lazy book glutton after all. Oh, and yesterday I said I had two books to review, and reviewed one of them...I still have two books to review. I wonder how long I can keep this trend going...

So, I don't remember when I finished reading Frozen by Melissa De La Cruz and Michael Johnston, book one of the Heart of Dread series...trilogy? I don't know. Either way, it's book one. Don't expect book two anytime soon, though, this book just came out in November. I'll bet you're just dying for Amazon link! So here it is

Summaryish: In a future world, where ice and snow cover pretty much the whole planet, people are being born Marked, with special abilities. Nat is marked, and she's been hiding it for a while. She finally decided that enough is enough and sets out to find the mythical realm of the Blue, a place rumored to be warm and perfect. But she's different than all the other pilgrims. She has a map to get there! But will she make it before it's too late? What if the military gets there first!!! That was a really bad summary. I'm sorry.

Review: So, Mel, as I believe she likes to be called, is supposed to be a New York Times bestseller, but frankly, I wasn't impressed. The story was fresh and exciting, but there was a lot of cliché stuff going on. Every pages I would scoff to myself and think, "Yeah, didn't see that coming." But of course, I did see it coming. But, confusingly enough, it wasn't a bad book. It was perfectly fine. Everything was done correctly; nice active verbs, the characters weren't stiff, and the tone was fabulous. But for some reason, things just didn't engage for me. Until around the end, where things picked up, and I started enjoying myself even more. Don't misunderstand me; the book was great, it's just that something was off. It was missing a little pinache. Hopefully, that will get straightened out by the next book.

Words to the Characters:

Nat: No fair, I want one!!! P.S. I think I like your other name better.

Wes: So, that's it? You just turn around and walk away? Goshers.

That's all. It's almost Christmas, and I haven't purchased anything yet, so I'm going shopping now. No second post today! But maybe we'll have it tomorrow...along with another new book...hmmm...

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment