Thursday, December 12, 2013

When Did This Book Sneak Into My Schedule?

Hey world!! I was just thinking about what it would be like to be a rubber duckie, then thought to myself, "Self, you just seriously thought about what it would be like to be a rubber duckie." Then I realized I wasn't thinking that, I was saying that, and thus talking to myself. So I decided I better blog or something before causing some serious damage to myself and others, and having to go back to that dreaded padded room writhing my arms through the heavy canvas of a strait jacket!

So, I ashamed to admit that over a week ago, I finished this book called Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya. In my last post, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that the book I was reading next was over a thousand pages...this is not that book. This is just a little less-than-200-page travel book that accidentally slipped into my pile somewhere between pages 100 and 200 of the book I reviewed before this one, and was finished around page 270 of the book I'm reading now. Don't ask me how this non-series appeared in my pile when I did not check it out o f the library, because I don't know. You may, however, ask me where the Amazon link is, a question which I will happily answer, here.  

Summaryish: This is the tragic and slightly depressing tale of an Indian lady, married off when she was like, 12, and  then had a bunch of kids. A tannery moved into her town, changed everything, monsoon, drought, and a lot of other depressing things I choose not to mention, because I'm currently enjoying a good mood. 

Review: I'm having mixed feelings about this book. While it was a good story, it wasn't exactly riveting. It had a lot of action, but also a lot of down time. There was some fun stuff going on, but way more depressing stuff. Usually, the depressing stuff is the best part because the plot thickens, and who doesn't love that? But in this book, the depressing stuff was just....depressing. Also, I talked to some people who had also read the book, and they kept saying how they hate the ending, but I feel like the book ended the way it had to. It just wouldn't work if it ended any other way. But, if you want to know whether to read this or not, I'll tell you this: Read it if you are willing to put up with all the sadness and misery, but don't if you quite enjoy being in a happy mood. If you like survival stories, this book is definitely for you! But if you like it when aliens attack...Let's just say I asked someone when the aliens attacked, and she said, "Chapter 35." And I was like, "There are only 30 chapters!!!" So yeah. That's it.

Words to the Characters:

Ruku: I'm wondering why you seem to kind of ignore your kids, except for Ira, whom you seemed to favor, if not at the beginning, at least after that. 

Nathan: I like how you are the voice of reason!!

Okay, that's it. I'm a little over 3/5 of the way done with my over-a-thousand-pager! Bye!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment