Saturday, December 28, 2013

Oh, Look, Another One!

Hey world! For the second time in just a few minutes I am reviewing another book! Good for me! I feel no need to make this paragraph any longer. I guess we're just going to have a long series of short posts. 

So, maybe five or six days ago I finished reading Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz. Fun fact: It's based off the true story of Jack Gruener. More on that later. So, considering this book ended in a place where it's pretty impossible to make a sequel, I'm going to bet that it's not a series. Oo, another fun-fact: Mr. Gratz it's a Trekkie! Or at least, I'm assuming so, considering he wrote a book about Starfleet Academy. Anyways, I'll bet your mentally telling me to hurry up and paste the Amazon link already, so I will!

Summaryish: Okay, so Jack Gruener was apparently once named Yanek, and he was ten when WWII started. Oh, and he's Jewish, so that's not really good news for him. This book basically follows him from one concentration camp to another (making a grand total of 10), and we also get to tag along on some Death Marches. So, yeah, it's a basic Holocaust book. (I don't color that word, it's depressing.)  

Review: I give this book an "Eh." Now I'll tell you why! The tone was great, the story was strong, and the characters were all fabulous. The only reason I didn't like it, well there's two reasons actually. One: There were not enough descriptions. I realize that all the camps probably looked alike, but I would like to know what these people looked like, or at least have some more detailed explanations about what was going on. It was one thing after another after another with seemingly no transitions and eventually it just got dull. The other thing is that it was really depressing. I expected that, of course, but still, maybe throwing in a little hope would have been nice?

Words to the Characters:

Yanek: I'm disappointed in you. I can't honestly say I wouldn't have done the same things, but sharing a crumb or two could save lives. Even if it shortened yours, it's hard to say it wouldn't have been worth it.

Natalie C. Sousa: If you're reading this, Ms. Sousa, I just wanted to tell you that I noticed and appreciated the hidden barbed wire on the back cover that you can only see if you hold it to the light in a special way. Nicely done.

Okay, another one bites the dust. My hands are tired. Is two enough for one day? I promise I'll try to come back again tomorrow!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment