Sunday, January 19, 2014

Does This Make Me The Supreme Ruler Of Book Reviewers?

Hey world! Guess what! I'm not late at all this time! It's been three minutes since I finished the book I'm reviewing now! This is my way of apologizing for all those times you had to wait, while books were just piling up on this side of the screen, and book lists were growing short on your side. But now, you won't even have to wait! For this book at least...and I guess you did kind of have to wait while I was reading it, but...I'm just going to press enter now.

So, I literally just finished this book that goes by the name The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer. It is the long awaited sequel to The House of the Scorpion, which I reviewed...somewhere. Probably, like, September. I'd give you a link, but I accidentally exed out of it. I don't think there will be any others, but I was happily wrong the first time, so we'll just have to wait twenty or so years and see if one pops up. Anyways, just as this book was long awaited, so is this Amazon link! You know, the only reason I give you those links is so I can browse the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought..." section. Plus, sometimes there's this button you can press to sample the audio book, it's pretty fun!

Summaryish: This book picks up pretty much where the last one leaves off, and if you haven't read the first one, try not to read this paragraph. Matt is the new Lord of Opium, and he's no longer a clone. His original is dead, and he left a lot of messes for Matt to clean up. Our favorite 14 year old drug lord must find a way to free the eejits, uproot the opium, AND avoid a war with the other rulers of the Dope Confederacy. With the help of his old friends, and some new maybe-friends, he must fix his crumbling country...without dying in the process. 

Review: I was so so excited to read this book after devouring the first one, and I definitely was not disappointed. Each page was better than the last! I'm surprised my eyes haven't fallen out with all the serious reading sessions I've been doing. I wouldn't dare put down this book before reading at least a hundred pages, and even after that it was hard not to think about it every second in between sittings. And speaking of sittings, I wish I could have read it in just one! It was that amazing. It's like, the page-turner of the week. Is that even a thing? I'm making that a thing. This book is officially the page-turner of the week. I wish I could say month, or even year, but, alas, that would be unfair to all the books I haven't read yet this month or year. It had more action than the first one, and that satisfied my appetite for explosions. Plus, it was gorgeously written. At first, it seems a little simple, but then the words suck you in, and after that, there's no escape for anyone. (And, oh my goodness! The cover!! Absolutely gorgeous!)

Words to the Characters:

Matt: I would totally elect you ruler of Opium any day. You handle the position like a pro, way to go! Hey, that rhymed.

Listen: Are we related? We act pretty much the same.

Okay, I'm out of here! Join me next time for something I'm pretty sure is a comedy.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment