Saturday, January 25, 2014

This Makes Me Want To Go To Some Sort Of Circus.

Hey world! So, yesterday I had two and a half books, and I reviewed one, and now I'm back up to two and a half! And as I am doing nothing right now, I decided I might as well at least attempt to get caught up! So here I am! I promised you I would review every book I read, and so far I have honored that promise. I'm just not always swift about it. But hey, if I'm not mysterious and unpredictable, I might as well not be anonymous! 

So, a while ago, but not too long ago, I'm not that terrible a blogger, I finished reading this book that's not a book, but actually a play, called, The Taming of the Shrew and since I generally only read plays by one person, with the exception of this one time when I read a play by a different person, it goes without saying that this was written by the illustrious William Shakespeare. I have a song stuck in my head now, but it has nothing to do with shrews or Shakespeare! The best way to get rid of a song stuck in your head, they say, is to listen to a different song, but I much prefer the Amazon link strategy. Copying and pasting takes so much concentration that all songs just dive out the nearest ear. 

Summaryish: So, this play is actually a play within a play, and for time's sake, I'm only going to talk about the mini-play. So, there's this lady, and she's very outspoken, which in Shakespeare's time was unattractive and such women were called "shrews." This shrew also has a sister who is drop dead gorgeous and has, like, three suitors all vying for her affections. The thing about this sister, though, is that she's younger than our favorite shrew, and therefore cannot be married until after her older sister. So, the people who wish to marry the younger one find a guy who is willing to attempt to tame this shrew so that this girl becomes available. Lots of disguises and trickery going on here!

Review: This was so hilarious!! I loved it, just like I love most of Shakespeare's plays! It was both funny and punny, and there was so much going on my head spun the slightest bit, but in the happy way! I could see the story as if I were watching it on a stage, and I especially liked imagining how it would sound in today's language. Which, coincidentally, was actually on the right page! But anyways, this play was simply gorgeous! And don't worry about the language. It may look intimidating, but it's actually quite simple to decipher once you get into it. I barely used the translation at all!

Words to the Characters:

Sly: Whatever happened to you? Maybe there should have been and enduction. Hehe, see what I did there? Enduction, like induction. Ha!

Katherine: So, you were made fun of in Shakespeare's time...But today, people would just be like, 'Yeah, that's what women are like." Crazy how times change.

Okay. Maybe that will be it for now, my fingers are getting all tired, plus I need to restart my computer! Bye for now!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment