Monday, September 8, 2014

I Think It Rained Yesterday.

Hey world! So, that was quite possibly the shortest marathon ever! Sorry about that! Maybe I should keep my blogger tab open at all times to remind me about this! Ah! I dropped my ice cream! I caught it, thank goodness. At least it wasn't my tea. That could have been very bad. I'm really starting to love this Bengal Spice tea, I highly recommend it. I think it's Celestial Seasonings. But this isn't a tea reviewing blog, it's a book reviewing blog. So I'm going to do that now.

So, a while back I read this book called Tempest Unleashed by Tracy Deebs. Book two of the Tempest Maguire trilogy. Maguire ALWAYS makes me think of Lizzie. It's not a very good audible. It's so...informative rather than emotional. The lady sounds like she's reading an essay! At least I have my ice cream...And you have this Amazon link.

Summaryish: After choosing to live in the ocean after battling against her nature, Tempest is dealing with a whole new set of problems - learning Mer culture and how to hone her abilities. But she has a great support group in Kona, her selkie boyfriend. But Tiamat is preparing for another strike, one bigger than ever before! And when one of her family members on land is injured...well, you get the picture. Not a lot is going well for little Tempest. 

Review: This book gets an "eh" from me. While it was written well, I was bored throughout the story because it was just the same themes repeated over and over and over again. It would be okay if they were themes original to this book...But now. The repeated themes were from the last book. I'm starting to get the feeling that this trilogy would have been better written as a single stand alone book. Not only that, but Tempest...I just don't like her much. She's annoying and judgmental and rude and self-absorbed. Mleh. I'll finish the series, but I won't be sitting on the edge of my seat for the next one. In fact, I'll probably only pick it up if I happen to see it in the library, I won't even actively search for it. 

About the Title:

So, I was reading this book in my bed when one of the people I live with came over and said, "Tempest Unleashed? What is that, a bodice-ripper?" I thought about it, and realized, oh my gosh, the title sounds like it's a romance! Especially for one who didn't know the character's name is Tempest! Kind of inaptly named. Besides, there wasn't really much unleashing going on. When was she ever leashed? Never. Maybe it should be called "Tempest Painfully Indecisive" or something.

Okay, that was Day One.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment