Thursday, September 11, 2014

Will I Get Arrested For That?

Hey world! This marathon really seems to be going terribly. So here's the deal: I'll post twice today and we'll pretend one of them was yesterday. Maybe we've all been collectively shuffled through a time gap. (Hold up a watch in front of your face, please.) It is yesterday. It is yesterday. Yesterday is today. Wednesday. Wednesday. It is yesterday...

So, I recently read a book that took me twelve whole days. Why? Because it's 1130 pages. And who is one of two authors who write four digit books that I read? Leo Tolstoy. But the other one is Neal Stephenson, and that's who wrote Cryptonomicon. This book is so popular that it has it's own wiki. I wish I had a wiki. This book also has an Amazon link. I'm fine without one of those, I wouldn't want to be purchased by some person or perhaps a penguin. I hear penguins are into online shopping.

Summaryish: This story is really two stories. Story #1: Lawrence Waterhouse is a genius code-breaker/organist participating mostly as such in the war effort of the 1940s as part of super secret Detachment 2702. He, along with Bobby Shaftoe and some minor characters whose names I forget, have the all-important job of keeping the fact that they have broken German codes a secret. Story #2: Randy, a descendant of Lawrence, is a crypto-hacker who is creating a data haven. What connects these  two stories? Gold, that's what.

Review: This is a really long book - I can see how that could intimidate some - but it is so worth it! I spent almost two weeks with just one story, and it kept me interested the whole time. And I'm a shameless story addict - I need more than one hit in two weeks to keep withdrawal away. Another thing. I had no idea what this book was about when I listed it, I simply unconditionally trust Mr. Stephenson to write a good story. There were a few R-rated moments in there to skip, and some bad language, but the story...Oh, it's so good.

About the Title:

Cryptonomicon. There's not really much else to say here.

Okay, that was Day Three! Happy Wednesday (wink wink).

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment