Friday, November 2, 2012

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! Wait, no it's not. It's The Dead and the Gone!

Hey everyone! Wow, can you believe it's already been, like, four days since my first post? It seems like it was just yesterday that I was being grossed out by Shylock's want for human flesh. And now here we are more than a half a week later talking about the end of the world. Well I'm typing and you're reading. 

So at 12:54 this morning I closed The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer and laid it on the top of my "done" pile. I thought all about the book for the seven minutes between when I finished it and when my radio began playing this gorgeous nocturne by Johann Strauss and I was too distracted to continue my musings. While I was thinking I discovered two things, one: I would be a great person to have around at the end of the world because I've read so many books about that very thing and know how to survive. And two: I like sleeping without pillows underneath my head. 

Summaryish: So this is the second book in what I believe is a trilogy, the first book Life as We Knew It, was about a girl named Marina in Pennsylvania trying to survive after an asteroid hits our dear friend the moon and knocks it out of orbit. This is not good because it messes up the gravitational pull and causes tidal waves, floods, volcanic eruptions and all kind of problems. But the ash from all the volcanoes blots out the sun and all the crops fail and there is mass chaos!!!! The second book, which I just finished, was pretty much the same thing except it was about Peurto Rican New Yorker Alex Morales and his sisters. But since New York is near the ocean it's even more dangerous for him than it was for Marina! 

Review: Woohoo! My favorite part! I thought this book was great!!! I liked how it was so real and scientifically plausible. Although I do think it would take a lot more than an asteroid to upset the moon's orbit. Gravity beats asteroid any day! Anyway, back to my review. My favorite part was when the tree branch fell. It was so fitting! (When you read the book you'll know what I'm talking about.) If I could change anything, I would make it just a touch faster, it starts out slow and your heart only gets pumping every once in while. But I have to admit, while you're reading this you'll be happy you are, but when you stop to, like, eat and do work and stuff, you won't get anything done because you'll be worrying about the characters!!!!!

Words for the characters:

Alex; lighten up! I know it's the end of the world and you're starving and your sisters are depending on you and all, but that doesn't mean you can't at least smile at Julie once in a while. She needs your moral support because teenage years are fragile, and the world just shattered them. And it does seem that you like Bri better...

Julie; In the words of Lemony Snicket:    "When someone has disappointed you, [...], it is often difficult to decide whether to continue their acquaintance, even if the disappointers have done noble things in the meantime. There are some who say that you should forgive everyone, even the people who have disappointed you immeasurably. There are others who say you should not forgive anyone, and should stomp off in a huff no matter how many times they apologize. Of these two philosophies, the second one is of course much more fun, but it can also grow exhausting to stomp off in a huff every time someone has disappointed you, as everyone disappoints everyone eventually, and one can’t stomp off in a huff every minute of the day.”
Give your feet a break, girlie, and give your brother a chance to correct himself.

Bri; Your faith is outstanding! Up until the very end you kept on believing in God and that kept you going! Rock on!

Kevin; Thanks for the comic relief, I really appreciated it. Too much drama can make your stomach clench. 

I'm pretty excited about the next book! I'm going to get it just as soon as the library has it available! Something is telling me Alex and Marina are going to meet up in the thrilling conclusion...Correction: that something was my fantastic aunt when she told me about this series. 

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are enjoying the series...And yeah, I am a little fantastic!
    I think your review is spot on! (and can't wait to see what you think of the last book...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey- I love these books too! My daughter recommended them to me last summer when I was deep into my apocalyptic literature phase. I guess I'm still there. Want to read about the end of the world? Call me...

    ReplyDelete