Saturday, November 3, 2012

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star...girl

Hey y'all! Fantastic day we're having isn't it? I'm breathing, was reading, who could ask for more? News flash: It's officially the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!!!! I've seen three Christmas commercials! Only 53 more days!! I could probably read 21-30 books in that time depending on the length and interest-level. I should probably get started now! 

Sooooo I just finished Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I thought about it almost the entire time I was folding my laundry. I discovered only one thing: Stargirl reminds me of me. Next to an "ordinary" person I'm very "unusual" but next to Stargirl, I'm the one who's ordinary. Maybe there's a little Stargirl in everyone. If everyone is different, how can anyone be ordinary after all?

Summaryish: So the book is narrated in the second person by this guy named Leo. He collects porcupine neckties and likes to sleep with the moon shining on him. So when this new girl comes to the school, after being homeschooled her entire life, everything changes. You know why? Because Stargirl showed up in a pioneer dress with a ukulele and a rat. She dances in the rain, cheers for both teams at any sports event, and genuinely cares about others. But not everyone likes her and a lot of people try to change her. 

Review: Oh, Mr. Spinelli you've done it again. Pretty great book in my opinion. I can never look at the world the same way again. No seriously. I'm going to have to change my entire life-style for the better just because I read this one book. It was super amazing! The way it was told was unique and intriguing. There weren't any explosions, but the book may have actually been better for the lack of said explosions. 

Words for the characters:

Stargirl: Rock on. Just...rock on. 

Everyone else: You could learn a lot from Stargirl. Caring about others is the best way to care for yourself! Smiling actually does improve your health you know. It's been scientifically proven. Look a little closer at everything around you, the big things may be big, but they are made of the little things. 

So yeah that's my review of Stargirl There's a sequel titled Love, Stargirl I will most likely get it as soon as possible! Unless I forget, which may happen. 

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer 

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to add this book to my list for reading during winter break! I would like to beg to differ on your use of the word 'unusual' to describe yourself. I find that if something is not 'ordinary' (which you are clearly not!) then you must be 'extraordinary!' Quite ironic that extra and ordinary together mean so much more than what one would think they would... Look forward to the next review!

    ReplyDelete