Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I Never Run Away From My Fears. I Close My Eyes and Wish Them Away.

Hey world! Day two of my...nth blog marathon! And I think I'm back up to five books again, but I don't really keep track of these things. Oh, and guess what? I just entered a contest! I hope I win. I'm not going to tell you about the contest, because I don't want more competition. I'm also multitasking by writing my library list. So right exactly now would be the best time to make a request because...you know...I'm going to the library in three hours. 

So, I remember where I was when I read Elusion by Claudia Gabel and Cheryl Klam, but not how long ago it was. I'm thinking, at least because of the ending, that it's going to be series, but nothing on either of the authors' websites is confirming this, and, hey, I've been wrong before. It's been optioned for a movie though. I don't like watching the movies of books, it makes everything so...so...unimaginative. I'd rather see books the way I read them, not the way directors decide they should be. Anyways. It's a nice audible, very well enunciated and inflected. Amazon link anyone?  

Summaryish: Wow, it's been half an hour since I started this post. Anyways. In a future where everyone, at least in their spare time, is plugged into an immersive virtual reality world called Elusion. Regan's father invented Elusion, and she hasn't been in since he died. Her best friend Patrick took over the company, and he's making big changes. And when some people are claiming that this beautiful fantasy world is addictive...Regan feels that she has no choice but to return to clear her father's name. 

Review: I was pretty excited when I checked out this book, the cover looked so beautiful, and I liked the book trailer, and all that jazz. The first few pages, though, made me think I had made a mistake. It felt so...plain. But then, almost from the very beginning of the second chapter, things got way better. Maybe it's just my impatience with beginnings shining through, but I like to get right to the action. Although I will admit that starting out slow almost always means crazy-awesome later. Some parts seemed a little cliché, hackneyed almost, but other parts were totally new and exciting. So, all-in-all, this book would probably rate a 6 or 7 on a scale of one to ten. I'm not saying don't read it...but I am saying it's not worth rushing to the library or putting it on hold. It's more like a pick it up if you see it while browsing sort of book. 

Words to the Characters:

Patrick: Okay, that was just wrong. The thing about love is it usually happens when you're nice to someone, not when you trap them in a virtual universe.

Regan: It's nice what you do for your father, but I think your mother would like a little love, too.

Okay, see you tomorrow for day three.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment