Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sometimes Strangers Come Up to Me And Tell Me I'm Crazy...Not Exactly The Same, But....

Hey world! I am back before lunch for Day Three of the marathon! Yeah, I decided to capitalize those letters, because I decided that used in this case they are proper nouns. Kind of like we capitalize Tuesday or Saturday, though if I were in a different country, I can't say that I would capitalize those letters because...wait. This is a book review website, not an conventional English website. Here we go again!

So, since I just reviewed Elusion, I must be reviewing Anomaly by Krista McGee now. I have hiccups. Not fun. But series books are fun, and this book is the beginning of a trilogy. Sometimes I feel like I never really read stand-alones, but that's not true, I just recently read a stand alone. But can any book ever really stand alone? I mean, there's probably more to the book in the author's mind - unimportant backstory, what comes next that they so rudely don't tell us. And then there's the bonus feature novellas some people write because it's so hard to leave an idea you spent so long cuddling into existence. But do unwritten ideas or little 20,000 word snippets constitute something more than just one book? Should anything pertaining to a book but "outside" of it be considered something totally unique and separate? Forgive me, I've been watching philosophy videos. Maybe I should just stick with reading, math, and Amazon links because that little train of thought went absolutely nowhere. I wonder where nowhere is...could the very fact that we think of a "nowhere" make it somewhere?

Summaryish: Because the above paragraph is so long, I'll try to make this one short. In Thalli's post-nuclear war world where no one has strong emotions and curiosity is a thing of the past, she is an anomaly. She can feel things at a deeper level than her pod mates, and for that, the Scientists must annihilate her. But Berk, a scientist in training, saves her life by asking to experiment on her. But both Berk and the Scientists have alternative motives...

Review: My first impressions of books are almost always wrong...but in this case I wasn't. From the very beginning - it was awesome. The very first words drew me in like a black hole, and the beautiful way it was written - so factual, so logical - kept me enthralled throughout the entire book. Not to mention the fabulous twists and turns. It was kind of like a winding staircase. Twisting and turning, like I said before, and always going up. Bravo!

Words to the Characters:

Thalli: I can't think of anything to say to you. Which is why we really need to replace this paragraph.

Berk: You, sir, are just exactly right.

Okay, that was Day Three, see you tomorrow!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment