Thursday, June 19, 2014

I'll Bet That's Uncomfortable.

Hey world! I totally broke the marathon. And it's been a week since then! But, even though I have a shameful plethora of books to review, I will not be starting a new marathon because I'm reading a big one, and I need something to do over the two weeks I scheduled for it. I'll be back every couple of days. Unless of course I forget, which is likely. But in the mean time, shall we begin?

So, not as long as I thought ago, I finished the book called Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. This book was recommended to me, though not through the comments section for which I am slightly sad. I've secretly already read the sequel, and am planning to get the finale just as soon as I can, which, sadly, isn't until September when it comes out. In case you didn't pick up on that, so far it's a trilogy. But, it also has four novella prequels published in one book. No audible, which is sad, but there's this Amazon link. 

Summaryish: Celaena Sardothien is the world's most feared assassin. To get out of the labor camp where she is wasting away, she agrees to become the Crown Prince's Champion in his father's battle to find the next royal assassin. With 23 other competitors to beat, and dark secrets to hide, Celaena risks everything to win back the thing she thought she'd never have - her freedom. But, as her competitors are found brutally murdered one by one, the competition becomes more dangerous than anyone ever predicted. Wow, that was a good summary! High five, self! Woo!

Review: Wowzers. The person who recommended this book to me said she was totally in love with it, but even with all that enthusiasm, I didn't expect something so great. I felt so connected to the story! It's unputdownable, but only for the story line. The characters, while sometimes likable, were other times just so...not. And there were some major problems with foreshadowing. I figured something out in the first hundred pages that I was supposed to gasp in utter shock at at the end of the second book. Don't get me wrong, it was a great read with plenty of action and suspense to keep me enthralled and immediately picking up the sequel at the library, and I absolutely adored the use of language, but I can't help but feel that it would be better if Celaena would at least blush - just once. It's hard not to review this book with the sequel so fresh in my mind, but I reviewed this book for what it is. I'll tell you about the second one later. 

Comments: (Instead of Words for the Characters):

1. Medieval time setting - billiards. Hmm.

2. Assassin in the castle for a competition everyone expects her to lose - suite of rooms, expensive dresses, and a servant. Eh.

3. Secret passages and life threatening duels - I am so there.

Okay, how did you like that little replacement to Words for the Characters? I like to try new things. But anyways, I have to go now, bye bye.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment