Monday, June 30, 2014

Just Like My Finger That One Time...

Hey world! I don't know what it is, but I've been feeling incredibly lazy towards my blog lately. So, to prove to both you and myself that I am still totally committed, I'm blogging before tea time today. I'm also going to the library now, so today (6/30/14) is the best day to comment recommendations. I just really want a comment so badly that I feel like screaming "Khan!" really loudly into the air despite the fact that that won't help at all, and evil cryogenically frozen superhumans from the past (our future) have nothing to do with books whatsoever. That was Star Trek reference. I just finished season two of the original series.

So, quite a while ago I finished reading this book called Fracture by Megan Miranda, which was so incredibly confusing because I couldn't figure out if it was last name first or first name first, even though most books are in the library last name first, but I kept forgetting which was which because both of her names could be first names. Oi veh. But it was fun. Anyway, it's a series, the sequel is out now. But I don't know how long the series is supposed to last. Maybe there's a clue hidden in the Amazon link...Or the audible that I couldn't really pay attention to, because the fifth book of the Lorien Legacies comes out August 26 and no one bothered to tell me until just now! Ahh!!! I could explode!!!!! YES!!! My library preordered it!! Placing hold! Oh my gosh, I'm hyperventilating...

Summaryish: I've calmed down enough to type, but I'm seeing green and blue spots, which is worrying. Okay, you know what? I'm still too excited...Here, read this copy-pasted summary from the author's website, it's better than mine anyway. By the time Delaney Maxwell was pulled from a Maine lake's icy waters by her best friend, Decker Phillips, her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead.
But somehow Delaney survived--despite the brain scans that show irreparable damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be fine, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney now finds herself drawn to the dying, and when she meets Troy Varga, a boy who recently emerged from a coma with the same abilities, she is relieved to share this strange new existence. Unsure if her altered brain is predicting death or causing it, Delaney must figure out if their gift is a miracle, a freak of nature--or something else much more frightening....Wow, that's kind of long...and it changed my font! Ahh!
Review: I got this book because I read this year's Traveling Story, and I liked the way she wrote, so I thought, hey, how about get a book by her. I didn't expect to like it so much. And I certainly didn't expect to stay up until 12:42, forfeiting the rest of the night's sleep despite the fact that I knew I had to get up early the next day, to finish it! There were no explosions, no aliens, barely any of the things I normally like in a book, and yet I devoured it like crumpets (I'm starting to think about tea time now). It was such a powerful and intriguing story and so much tension that putting it down was an incredibly foreign and possibly dangerous thought. And though the ending was a little vague, I really can't complain because that's what sequels are for.
Thoughts On The Cover (A new segment)
While the cover is nicely mysterious and fascinating, and I'm quite pleased that the person on the front actually looks like the character, the stars do not form constellations. But, if the stars are actually snow as I'm now beginning to believe, then my only complaint is the title's font could be oodles more original. I'm also very happy that proper nouns are appropriately capitalized, and that the author's name is smaller than the title. I don't like it at all when the title, the very first thing you see about a book and ultimately what makes you decide to read it, is diminished by an overly large name. Brava.
How did you like that little segment? This "trying new things" thing is kind of fun. See you soon!
Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment