Friday, December 14, 2012

I Wish I Were In A Tree Right Now.

Hello hello hello! It's been so long since I last blogged!! I missed you so much!! Thank's for coming, it means a lot to me. So how long exactly has it been? Gee wizzers, at least since the 8th! Sorry it's been taking me so long. But I have an excuse!!! The book I was reading was boring, in my opinion, and it was long. Not that I don't like to read long books, I do, but not when they are boring. Shiver. 

So I just finished reading this book called A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. If you want to buy it, you can look HERE. It's not serial. But I don't think I'd want to read cereal anyway. See what I did there? Ha ha. Sometimes I read serial books while eating cereal, but that's different. Anyways...

Summaryish: I think I can summary more than usual because it's not a series and it barely has a recognizable plot, it basically just follows the life of a Brooklyn girl and documents all the struggles that go along with being born in the early 1900's to a poorish family. So it starts out with Francie (the Brooklyn girl I just told you about) as an 11 year old, but then it kind of backtracks into a place before she was born. It tells about how her parents grew up, and all about her aunts and uncles and stuff. Then it goes back to her being 11, and she grows up. The End. 

Review: Okay, I have to admit that, even though at first I was really bored and going to bed late on purpose, as the book progressed, it got significantly more tolerable, I even started enjoying myself...just a little. It was a really great book, the last half of Chapter 33 being the best, but I much prefer aliens, explosions, and maybe a little natural disaster every once in a while. But hey, that's just me. If you like regular books about life, struggles, sibling love/rivalry, and death not caused by a plane crash, and maybe even a little "first love" mixed in, read this book. But if you are like me, only read this if your bag full of books is unbalanced and you need a classic to even it out. If I had to put it under a column, it would be under the "eh" heading. Neither good nor bad. Just....eh. 

Words for the characters:

Johnny: For some reason, and on a very small level, the drunkenness kind of "fits" you.  Not that getting drunk is okay or anything. It's like you wouldn't be human if you didn't drink because then you'd just be too perfect to stand. 

Francie: I like reading too!! What a coinkeedink. I just don't read a book a day. I have however finished three books in one day before. 

Neeley: I can't think of anything to say to you...sorry.

Katie: I just can't believe you actually have a FAVOURITE kid!!!!! That kind of makes you less awesome. I mean, you just don't have a favourite kid. That's like picking a favourite Artemis Fowl book.

Lee: Meany. 

There you are!! It is now up to you to decide whether you add this book to your slowly diminishing To Read list in order  to beef it up a little or watch it evaporate into a blur of highlighter and wrinkly paper. 

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.  



No comments:

Post a Comment