Sunday, February 16, 2014

At Least It's Winter!! Oh Wait, Not On The Other Side Of The World...

Hey world! It's been five seconds since I posted my last review...Well, when I'm writing this sentence, not when I actually post this. But you knew that, you're a smart person. Okay, do we need all these pleasantries? Snap, I reminded myself of Artemis Fowl...I promised myself I wouldn't do that, and look at me, saying the word 'pleasantries' and drinking Earl Grey tea...Okay, we'll think about this book now.

So, probably around three days ago I finished this book called Scorched by Mari Mancusi. Yes, it's a series (The Scorched series). Yes, it's book one. No, book two is not out yet. But it does have a title, Shattered, which makes me think of Tahereh Mafi, which makes me mad at my library. Who am I kidding, how could I be mad at a library? But back to the book at hand. You know what I think is cool? I like it when series books have series titles, and they're not just referred to by their first book. Sadly, that doesn't happen very often. Oh well, moving on to the Amazon link

Summaryish: Trinity thought she was normal...that is, until the dragon egg her grandfather brought to their crumbling museum starts talking to her, and twins from the future affect her life in a big way. One twin, Conner, wants to destroy the egg because his world was destroyed by dragonfire. But Caleb, the other half in the set, wants to save it because he sees the beauty of the dragons. Trinity doesn't know which twin to believe, but she does know that like it or not, she is the Fire Kissed, and she and the baby dragon are destined. The question is, will she decide to embrace it, or kill it? I'm kind of mad at myself for ending that summaryish with a question, I try not to do that.

Review: At first, I didn't care much for this book.The first few chapters were stiff, and the first word that came to mind was, "amateur." It felt like Ms. Mancusi had picked up a How To Write a Novel book and followed its instructions to the letter. But, around chapter seven, things were well lubricated and I started enjoying myself. By chapter seventeen, I was really enjoying myself. And by the end, I was really really enjoying myself. I don't know why the beginning made me shudder. Perhaps I just needed to get to know Ms. Mancusi's writing style. Once I got used to her way with words, I couldn't put the book down. There were even a few twists I didn't see coming, and I like to think of myself as a professional reader! Usually, I suspect things long before they happen and  the plot twists don't surprise me too much, but I was really caught of guard once or twice with this one, and that was a pleasant change.

Words to the Characters:

Conner: Do you not see the iridescence of those scales?! Goodness!

Caleb: I like you better. Fred is gorgeous, by the way.

Trinity: Remember that thing that happened? Was that crazy or what! 

One left to go! 

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment