Saturday, February 1, 2014

Snap, I Should Have Done Something Different, But I Didn't. Boo.

Hey world! Number three of four, moving right along! After this one, though, you'll have to wait until snack time, I've got places to be and book to read. Ooo, I sound like a mysterious book dealer or something!! I'm getting tired of intro paragraphs, I can never think of anything to say or to announce, or anything! I don't know why! I'll just move on, then.

So, almost recently, I closed the cover of The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist (another guy without a website) for the last time and put it on my finished pile. It's a stand-alone, so there's no sequel or prequel or anything, unless there is that I don't know about, and I think I'm going to go check now. Yeah, not a series. As far as I can tell, anyway, which isn't very far, I'm not psychic, you know. Okay, last but not least, Amazon link.

Summaryish: On an island during an unspecified time frame live six people. Four of which are girls who do the same exact thing every day: learn how to learn from the two other people on the island, the scientists. But, when the lone survivor of a recent shipwreck washes ashore their beautiful island, their perfect lives shatter into a million people. This different girl shakes up their lives and forces them to ask question they never thought about before. 

Review: This book is one of those in-between books where you like it more than you don't like it, but at the same time aren't quite sure about that. The honest, almost child-like in it's straight-forwardness, tone was both a plus and a minus. I liked the way the tone rang in my ears, but at the same time, it was very easy to tune out. Luckily, Gordon found the perfect balance between the two. I also liked how the plot was so unsure of itself. I wondered and pondered and had some ahas and who-the-what-nows. Overall, it was a great story told in a great way, but there was one mysterious and elusive thing missing from it. I sensed some sort of hole, not in the plot, which was fabulous, but somewhere in the fog, and that left me dissatisfied, but oddly okay with that dissatisfaction. So you decide for yourself, are you okay with itchy little holes and tune-out-able tones, or would you rather have something absotively perfect in every way? You decide, I'm just here to give my honest reviews.

Words to the Characters:

Ladies: Are y'all robots or what? I can't tell.

May: Do you think they're robots? I do.

Alrighty then, see you later!

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment