Sunday, March 16, 2014

I Thought It Meant, Like, Sparkly yet Mean, And I Guess It Kind of Does.

Hey world! Aren't you proud of me? I'm back to post again when I said I'd be! Woopdeedoo! And, you know, I felt so guilty yesterday that I forgot to tell you something very very important. That last book I reviewed? It started my first even blog series! The next several books I'm going to review are pure science fiction. We'll call it...Let's see...Sci-fi Series. Not very original, but it is alliterative. Now, let's get started on installment number two.

So, some time around last week maybe I finished a book called Crewel by Gennifer Albin. It's her first book, and it's also the first book of what I believe is the Crewel World trilogy, in which there are so far two books, and the last one will be coming out in October, near my blog birthday. I'm listening to the audible sample now on Amazon, and it's okay. The reader should inflect different words though. At least, that's how I feel. 

Summaryish: It wouldn't be very good science fiction if it weren't the future, now would it? And in this future, young girls wait in anticipation for their tests to find out if they're Spinsters or not, which means that they can weave time with matter. But Adelice is different, she's been training to fail at these tests, so she isn't taken to the Conventry, away from her family and everything she knows and loves. But then she slips up. And they come to get her.

Review: From the very beginning - I was hooked. And I stayed that way throughout the whole book. I was actually surprised about this because nothing really ever seemed to be happening...And yet my whole attention was still riveted. Ms. Albin is very skilled at pacing and plotting. There's just one thing...sometimes how I perceived the characters to be and what they say doesn't always match up. An odd complaint, and a very weak one, I know, but it was the only thing I could think of to complain about. It's a fabulous book, especially for fans of those world behind the world books. I enjoyed it a lot, and I think you will too.

Words to the Characters:

Adelice: Really? I figured that out on page 234. 

Jost: J-aw-st, or J-oh-st? Also, that was one thing I didn't see coming.

Erik: Why don't you two get along? Was there a falling out that I missed?

Okay, that's it for this post, and now I feel like reading. Join me next time for something reminiscent of credit cards.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment