Wednesday, March 5, 2014

There's Been A Slight Change In Plans.

Hey world! I know, I know, it's been over a week, or somewhere along those lines. And I have no excuse. I was just reading far too much this week. In fact, I have three books to review. But, do you remember my last post, where I said that the next book was something I hoped it wasn't turning into? Well, that's not this book. I've broken the rules. I've thrown the sacred rule book right under the trolley and said goodbye trolley people like a good blogging monarch ought. I did the unthinkable...Right in the middle of a book, I started a different one.

So, what I did not finish a while ago was what I started a while ago, what I did finish was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, who died sometime in the 30s or 40s and does not have a website. This small book of 180 pages, less than 50,000 words, is considered a classic, and is not a series. It is, however, available on Amazon, the link to which should be around here somewhere, but considering the fact I have three books to review, I think you already know I'm a forgetful person. Oh, one more thing: This book doesn't have a movie. It has four! Two in black and white, and two in color.

Summaryish: Nick Carroway recently moved from frosty Minnesota to the east coast. Coincidentally, he rents the house right next to the mansion of Jay Gatsby - the mysterious millionaire who throws lavish and wild-crazy parties pretty much every weekend. Tons of people attend this event, but not the person Gatsby wants to come...which is where Nick comes in. He can convince this person to come. But, it's likely that instead of all his dreams coming true, Gatsby's life is about to come crashing down.

Review: This book was a lot better than I thought it would be! I thought I would get lost in the florid language, or the prettiness of the sentences would make the book too slow, too hard to keep track of. But, it was actually waaaayyyy good. Exposition and action are well balanced, and the mystery mixed in doesn't hurt anything. All in all, it's a great read. Oh my goodness, my headphones were lopsided. They're better now. Anyways, while not always fast, the double-time ending totally makes up for it. Plus, there's a lot of lessons to be learned here that have nothing to do with how to survive an alien invasion like most of the book I read.

Words to the Characters:

Jay: My advice to you is that there's a time for everything; and in your case, the thing for which it is time is letting go. As Nick points out, you can't relive the past.

Nick: Okay, I really want to know about the other time...

Jordan: I'm upset that Nick tried to justify you. I get the whole flapper thing, but some things you do are just plain bad.

Daisy: Someone needs to learn what love is...

I'm terribly thirsty, and I can't promise I'll return to my computer after quenching that desire, so just stay tuned, I'll probably be back tomorrow.

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxx
Anonymous Book Reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment